Practicals in Secondary Science
Start learning today
Upgrade your account to gain instant access this moduleSign in and Upgrade
About this module
In this module we evaluate the use of practical experiments, demonstrations, and broader active techniques in science lessons for the optimum development of student skills and understanding. We will review the use of core practicals, consider some of the common barriers to implementing this approach as a pedagogical tool and offer strategies to help overcome those barriers.
We will also consider briefly how we can make the most of our technicians where available.
This module is appropriate for all secondary science practitioners including teachers, classroom support and technicians.
Session 1: The why and how of practical science will explore:
- The benefits and challenges of practicals.
- How to improve practical work at a school/department level.
- How to improve practical work in class.
Session 2: Bringing learning to life will explore:
Best practice case studies that demonstrate:
- Routine building
- Use of models
- Use of demos
- Consolidation - putting it all together.
- The benefits and challenges of practical work as a pedagogical tool.
- How to improve the quality and purpose of practical work in secondary science.
- Effective practice examples of science practical lessons, including planning, setting routines and managing behaviour.