Promoting Metacognitive Talk
Start learning today
Upgrade your account to gain instant access this moduleSign in and Upgrade
About this module:
In this module we will explore the quality of talk in the classroom and how this impacts on learning and progress. We will consider practical strategies for developing the quality of learning conversations in the classroom and how, as teachers, we plan tasks, questioning and discussions to enhance learning.
This module is appropriate for all practitioners in all phases and contexts.
Session One: What is metacognitive talk and why is it needed in the classroom? will explore:
- Why Metacognitive Talk is important for learning.
- Talk in learning and teaching.
- Dialogic Teaching.
- Dual Processing.
- Promoting high levels of cognition and talk.
Session Two: Practical ideas for improving quality talk for learning will explore:
- Facilitating Metacognitive Talk in the classroom.
- Modelling Metacognitive Talk.
- Practical strategies for both teacher and pupil.
- Application of the strategies to a future lesson.
- What meta-cognitive talk is and why it is important.
- How to plan tasks to promote high level thinking and discussion.
- Explore practical ideas for improving the quality of talk in the classroom.