Classroom talk and closing gaps
About this module:
In this module you will consider the emerging evidence around the role of classroom talk, with a particular emphasis on the principles and practicalities of dialogic teaching.
The sessions will outline how well-planned and orchestrated classroom talk can impact on the knowledge gains of pupils and enhance the ability to engage in creative and critical thinking.
You’ll consider the conditions that teachers need to create to allow classroom talk to flourish using examples of techniques to ensure impact on learning.
You’ll be invited to reflect on and refine your own practise in your own context both between and beyond the sessions.
Session One: The Power of Classroom Talk will explore:
- The role of classroom talk in effective teaching and learning strategies.
- Understanding the impact of classroom talk on learning gains.
- Key principles of Dialogic Teaching.
Session Two: Dialogic Teaching in action will explore:
- Creating the right classroom conditions for powerful talk.
- First steps in planning for classroom talk.
- Techniques to enhance the impact of a dialogic approach.
- Understand the role classroom talk plays in effective teaching and learning strategies.
- Understand the key principles of Dialogic Teaching and its impact on learning gains.
- Learn how to plan for classroom talk and how to create the right conditions for powerful talk.
- Learn techniques to enhance the impact of a dialogic approach.