Identifying the gaps - Questioning
About this module
In this module, we consider how questioning in the classroom can be used to identify gaps in pupil learning. We will consider how teachers and other classroom practitioners can prepare diagnostic questioning as well as supporting pupils to develop their own abilities to use questioning in their learning.
The sessions will consider a range of practical approaches to developing effective questioning which allow teachers to adapt and respond to the needs of their learners with both common and specific knowledge gaps. You will be invited to reflect on and refine your own practice in your own context both between and beyond the sessions.
Session One: Identifying knowledge gaps will explore:
- Effective and ineffective questioning techniques.
- Different questions for different purposes.
- Knowing your curriculum.
Session Two: Practical Questioning will explore:
- Practical approaches to effective questioning.
- Changing the way questions are presented.
- Understand that different questions have different purposes.
- Understand and learn that you can plan questioning to diagnose learning and knowledge gaps.
- Learn how to ask questions that are fit for purpose.
- Learning how to change the way you ask a question.
- Explore diagnostic questioning.
- Learn how to apply pedagogical techniques to utilise diagnostic questioning.