Sequencing Learning: Retrieval Practice
Start learning today
Upgrade your account to gain instant access this moduleSign in and Upgrade
About this module
In this module, we explore the role of retrieval practice in reinforcing knowledge and building knowledge gains. The sessions will consider the reasons why retrieval impacts on securing learning and preparing for future knowledge and the importance of planning for knowledge retrieval over time. Strategies including elaboration, spaced learning and interleaving; dual coding will be introduced and explored over the course of the two sessions. You will be invited to apply and refine your own practice in your own context both between and beyond the sessions with practical examples and suggestions for you to try out.
Session One: Reinforcing learning through retrieval will explore:
- Principles of effective reinforcing of learning – why retrieval is key.
- The role of spacing, interleaving, elaboration, dual coding and retrieval practice.
Session Two: Beyond the low stakes/no stakes quiz will explore:
- Using spaced learning and interleaving in practice to embed retrieval.
- Ideas for retrieval activities and why they work.
- Understand what the fundamental principles of reinforcing of learning are.
- Understand why retrieval is key.
- Understand the role of spacing, interleaving, elaboration, dual coding and retrieval practice.
- Learn how you can use spaced learning and interleaving in practice to embed retrieval.
- Explore retrieval activities, how you might use them in your classroom and why they work.