What is a Middle Leader anyway?
About this module
This module is aimed at those aspiring to, or new to, middle leadership in schools. In this module, we consider the potential that middle leaders bring to school improvement alongside research evidence relating to the role with a focus on leadership styles and emotional intelligence.
The sessions will provide an overview of the key functions of a middle leader position and how the best middle leaders impact on their team and school improvement goals as well as an introduction to the importance of maintaining well-being in this role.
Practical suggestions for preparing for the role will be included in both sessions.
This module provides a springboard to other modules in the Middle Leadership and Attributes and Behaviours suites.
Session 1: What is a middle leader? will explore:
- What is leadership and what is a middle leader?
- Leadership styles - what is your ‘default’ style?
Session 2: The Team and I - learn:
- Knowing you, knowing your team.
- How to get the outcomes you want and effectively hold colleagues to account.
- Wellbeing - for you and your team.
- Learn what the key functions of middle leaders in schools are and how to identify your leadership style.
- Learn what to expect and how you might prepare for the role.
- Understand what makes a great team and how to create one.
- Understand the importance of well-being and begin to learn how to look after yourself and team members.